4.4.11

invisible children

This morning I went to an assembly at my old high school. The presentation was about the terrorist war going on in central Africa and the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), led by a man named Joseph Kony. The terrorist group abducts children from the villages, forces them to join the pre-existing army and threatens death if defied. Ransacking through towns, the kidnapped children are taught not only to murder, but also seemed stripped of any emotion.

The Invisible Children is a group that was founded by young people who were fed up with Kony and has aided in getting the LRA out of Uganda. However, the LRA has now moved on to the Congo, Sudan and the Central African Republic. It was great to see the impact just a couple individuals can have! Invisible Children is now touring the United States, along with actual Ugandan LRA survivors, raising awareness and gaining support for the LRA to be stopped. Since 100% of the profit from the merchandise sold at the events goes back to the victims of the LRA, I of course had to go shopping!



  • Mend bag- each made by a woman LRA survivor, mine was made by Ajok Betty
  • Invisible Children t-shirt
  • DVD and bracelet of a survivors story, I have Emmy



2 comments:

  1. Hey Kenna! Thanks for the comment on my blog, I've been through the application process before. I was invited to serve in Ukraine in 2009 but ended up not going. My very first blog post ever explains everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! I really admire and makes me think a lot what you are doing.I am sure your concern's and efforts towards unwanted,unloved and uncared children would yield great results.looking forwards for your posts.

    ReplyDelete