24.7.11

Albert Louis and Test Day

Albert Louis and Test Day
7-22-11
A 14 year old boy in my first class named Louis brings me a gift everyday during break. First, it was a bunch of pink flowers that he had to climb a thorn tree to get. Its turned into little snacks that vendors sell around the school compound. I think he has a little crush on me, haha.
Friday for both classes was test day. For the class of 16 kids, I wrote out individual tests for each student and each student got their own desk. I made sure that each student knew if there was any ‘spying,’ (cheating) that they would be removed and their test would be ripped up, no first warning. I had no cheaters, so I know that threat works. 

The 90 plus, four to a desk classroom full of pre-teens on the other hand was chaos. I knew it would be before even entering the room. The other two teachers who I divide session time with, Dan (science) and Damien (english) decided to collect all the students notebooks, so there would be no spying. We all realized that was a horrid idea once we had 4 foot stacks of notebooks, newspapers, bags of rulers, backpacks, trash, coins and some food in a corner at the front of the room. Passing it back was even worse. I doubt any of us will try collecting anything from a class that size again. Good lesson. 



One girl was crying the entire class because her notebook was stolen by another student. I bribed the class, by saying “Who ever finds a red notebook with the name ‘Mariatu’ on the front will get a piece of candy,” no on raised their hand, but I had all their attention, “Or any one who point to who they think may have the notebook...?” Still no response so I’m planning on buying her a new notebook and recopy all the notes for her, it’s cute because she was more concerned about not having the notes than the actual notebook and its cost. 
During each other’s tests’, we all proctored spying. Dan is definitely the toughest out of us three, he kick out about 7 kids. Damien is too nice to kick any one out and I threw out some girls who were fighting and pulling each others hair. 









No comments:

Post a Comment