31.7.11

Bank, Kaiyan, Coal-Pot

July 30th, 2011
Bank, Kaiyan, Coal-Pot
Today was an experience to say the least. One of those days where you better laugh, because if you don’t you’ll start to cry. A real test of patience. Don’t worry, I passed :)
It began with a trip to the bank. After being accustomed to an American bank, this seemed to be extremely inefficient- but that’s why it’s called ‘developing,’ right? 
The bank is full of people, some there actually to deposit/withdraw money and others just there to enjoy the air conditioned space. There are two different lines. The first line, the Inquiry line, is to get the bank slip. That took about 30 minutes. Then you move to another Cashier line for an hour or two. People are cutting, pushing and even trying to see how much money is written on your account slip. The b.o. of this crowd seemed to be seeping through the vents. After getting the money, I withdrew a million Leones, you have to scoot aside, hold tight to your wads of bills and look out for shady characters. Then, it’s your own responsibility to find some space in the crowd to count the money and being one of the only white people in the building, I already stick out, but literally every set of eyes is on that money. I felt like I was walking through a soup kitchen flaunting a six course meal. Locals were practically salivating. Awkward.
To make things better, the cashier gave me less than I withdrew (Le 4,000 which isn’t much). I pushed my way to the front of the line, told the cashier, and without questioning, he gave it to me... very weird, unless he knew and was seeing if I’d count.
Girl in the market with cassava, potato, sawa-sawa or kren-kren leaves on her head.
After the bank, it was off to making Kaiyan. Kaiyan is this peanut butter cookie like thing made of ground rice, sugar, peanut and a tad of salt. We walked around the market with the lady who would be helping us make it for a bit. Flip flops were a bad idea today. All last night it had rained, and there were sick, unavoidable puddles of who knows what everywhere. Texas Sam, Kenley, Tammie and I followed the Kaiyan lady through the back alleys of the market getting the ingredients to fill our little buckets. 
Walking around the market.
Market 

I ran into a man pushing a wheel barrel like contraption full of palm oil gallons after hoping over a drainage river which was pretty funny but I think I will have a pretty big bruise on my leg.

Jumping the baby river.
After finishing making the Kaiyan, well, more like after the ladies finished making it, we stopped to buy our coal pots. Kenley’s kindness and great ability to speak Krio was the reason we got the spoons included. Getting the thing home was an experience, I think I gained a lot of respect from my neighbors. I walked all the way home with it on my head, like the locals. I now know why they do that. One, it is easier going long distances; two, your arms simply are not strong enough and three, it is awkward walking with something in your arms like that. Another item checked off my shopping list. 
Waiting for the Kaiyan to be done, helping a bit.
Only two weeks till I move to Futa! I am so excited!
Oh and on a side note, every time I show anyone (local) a picture of MyLeigh, their response is "Ah, she's so hairy." I laugh every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment