2.7.11

Lately

6-30-11
Lately
Here are some quick updates and funny things that have been happening lately:
  • I set up my ‘bug hut,’ in my room, atop my bed. Good luck trying to get me now rats.


My room
  • One rat was brave enough to come out during the daylight. I was looking out the window when it scurried down the screen, right in front of my face! Instinctively, I jumped up onto my tarp bed, took a single jump to the door and got out of my infested room. Prince was cracking up. But hey, I didn’t even scream. 
  • Aminata gifted me two Costco sized jars of Mayo. I hate Mayo. Gave me a spoon and told me I can keep them in my room... so she thinks Americans just eat Mayo like it’s frozen yogurt?


Aminata cooking/washing dishes (everyone is always topless, she at least wears a bra) Jesse the dog is in the corner.
  • We all went on a field trip to some animal reserve. The 2 hour poda-poda ride turned into a 6hr. ride there, an hour and a half picnic, and a 6hr. ride home. It was a fun bonding experience with the other PCV’s, but a lonnnnggg day for sure. It didn’t make anything better when the only animal we saw was a hippo footprint. HAHA


On the way to the nature reserve
  • I had a cold Diet Coke the other day at the only American-ish place in Makeni called Clubhouse, and felt like I was going to pass out- it was very strange. First ‘cold’ thing I have had in awhile.
  • At night I pee in a bucket in my room, it has a lid, because the doors are locked and no one goes outside. 
  • Someone knocked on my window at about 6am, totally creeped me out. Turns out it was a pregnant lady’s husband- she was going into labor. Aminata is the area nurse.
  • I came home from training and saw a pregnant looking woman sitting on the living room couch wearing only a lappa (cloth that they use as a skirt/wrap), that did not shock me cause no women wear tops here, but the big gash in her stomach and oozing blood caught my eye. Turns out her c-section stitches had came out. Aminata was sewing her back up. I am not sitting on the couch again.
  • I was the assistant in preforming a circumcision to a 22yr. old baby boy. I was holing clamps, legs, flashlights (it was very dark, sounds safe, I know.), and keeping a finger in the baby’s mouth that he could suck on. Pieces of skin were flung everywhere, as was blood, iodine and pee. Again, never sitting on the family room couch. 
  • Had my first experience teaching in front of a class full ok kiddos and loved it!


Me, walking to training
  • Packages have came, so I am excited they are actually getting to Makeni! Send me letters :)
  • Everyone is amazed by my Crest SpinBrush. Think I am magic. 
  • Kids and women love feeling my arms and my hair. Tell me I am “slippery” and “fluffy.” Last week, I asked a neighbor for two french braids and came out looking like Medusa (can’t be positive since I have no mirror) with 30 loose braids all over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment