4.7.11

Happy Birthday America!

Happy Fourth of July!
Today we had a cultural fair with the Sierra Leonans. Made food, some people tie-died lappa skirts and African drummers played throughout the day:) Hope everyone has a great day!
To all of the Peterson’s celebrating in Durango, having great food and watching the fireworks, I miss you lots and wish I could be there! Love you!
Here are a couple pictures from today’s festivities, the weekend field-trip coming soon is a video of one of my teachers, Ben. He is hilarious and for sure my favorite. Most the time I cannot understand him and have no idea what he is talking about. In the video, I ask him about “Water Mummies,” a superstition and actual belief  of many of the people here. From what I understand, they are like mermaids or siren’s, but an evil kind (like in the new Pirates of the Caribbean), that capture people, especially whites, when they go swimming. He always warns me to stay away from water because they will like me for my white skin and golden hair. 





Rachel and I canoeing at the wildlife reserve.




Tammie and I at the cultural fair, today.




Mark and I in front of the Lappa dyers.



Ivy and I at the Otamba National Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment